The Zuidlaardermarkt will go ahead this year, having been cancelled due to the Coronavirus pandemic in 2020
Mayor Marcel Thijsen has approved the preparations for the 820th horse market in Zuidlaren in the province of Drenthe on the third Tuesday of October. Last year, the event was canceled due to the Coronavirus pandemic, depriving the village of one of its biggest revenue raisers. As reported by RTV Drenthe.
The market will go ahead on Tuesday, October 19: “things are now going in the right direction and our country can move further and further away from the lockdown”, says Mayor Thijsen. “What could be better than a Zuidlaardermarkt this autumn? Like many Zuidlaarders and people around the world, I am really looking forward to it. The market organization is looking forward to it and we would like to organize it.”
However, there is still a lot that is unclear about how events can take shape this autumn. It remains to be seen exactly what the event will look like. The municipality is closely monitoring the developments of the Coronavirus.
To make it easier to adjust if the virus flares up again, the programme for the day is to be divided into four parts: the horse market, the commodity market, the fair and the festivities around the market day. In this way, the municipality can act more easily if the measures do not allow it. “Consider, for example, parts in modified form, or the deletion of parts,” says Thijsen.