The Northern Times, the main English-language news site covering Groningen, Friesland, and Drenthe, is looking for its next journalism intern!
Are you a student in the Netherlands who’s passionate about the news, storytelling, and making a difference? Are you looking for an early-career (paid) internship that can help you expand your portfolio? Or an internship that’s part of your university course requirements? Then we’d like to hear from you!
We’re a small team that’s committed to delivering interesting, helpful, and entertaining content to our audience.
What you’ll be doing:
- Finding interesting stories relevant to our audience in Groningen, Friesland, and Drenthe
- Writing daily news articles for our website in English
- Interviewing local residents
- Creating content for our social media channels
Who we’re looking for:
We’re looking for someone who’s ideally already familiar with how journalism works. But since this is an internship it’s perfectly fine if you’re still early in your career as long as you’re willing to learn and improve your skills.
Some things that we’re looking for are must-haves. We’re pretty flexible about the rest.
- Must be a student who’s registered at a Dutch university and is pursuing a relevant degree
- Available for at least 7 weeks
- Good written English
- A genuine interest in journalism and a friendly attitude
Those are the must haves.
For the next requirements, if you don’t tick every box but still think you have what it takes, please apply!
Nice to haves:
- Ideally someone who already has some experience writing news articles (news articles written as part of a journalism degree count too)
- Good communication skills
- It’s great if you’re familiar with creating content for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and/or LinkedIn
- Are living in Groningen, Friesland, or Drenthe
- Comfortable working in a hybrid work set-up (a mix of being in our office in the centre of Groningen, going out to cover stories, and capable of working remotely from home)
- Able to start by December 2023 or January 2024
What you’ll get from us:
- Internship financial compensation of approximately €500 per month (based on 1.0 FTE)
- An internship supervisor who can help you fulfil university internship requirements
- A unique opportunity to explore different types of journalism and build your portfolio
- Room for creativity and personal growth
- Flexible hours to accommodate your schedule
- Help to build your career in journalism after the internship
How to apply?
To apply for this internship kindly fill in the following form: https://makeitinthenorth.typeform.com/NTinternship
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so we recommend sending in your application as soon as possible. Ideally don’t send it in later than Friday November 24th 2023.
- Answer our questions and send us your CV
- If you’re selected for the next round we’ll have a brief call to explain what the internship will involve and we’ll be able to answer any questions you might have
- If both parties are happy to proceed we’ll move on to an interview (in-person or online)
- If a second round of interviews is not required, we’ll proceed with making a decision
Still have questions?
We look forward to receiving your application! Good luck!
Photo: Stella Dekker Fotografie