The municipality of Groningen provides the initial reception and shelter to people who had to flee the conflict in Ukraine. Refugees who are now arriving in Groningen and have no place to stay are being housed in the following three shelter locations:
- The former Nescio Hotel, Emmalaan 33, Haren – space for 230 people
- Student flat Kornoeljestraat 2, Groningen – space for 100 people
- Boathouse in Oosterparkwijk
Ukrainian refugees can be granted the status of war refugee throughout the EU. So it is not necessary to apply for asylum.
You can read more about this on the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
Registration with Municipality of Groningen
Ukrainian refugees can now register with the municipality of Groningen.
If refugees are staying with guest families: Please make an appointment using this link.
For refugees staying at shelter locations, the municipality will arrange the appointment and transport to the municipality for the refugees.
- You will need to bring all Ukrainian passports, ID cards and/or certificates (birth, marriage, adoption) that you may have to the appointment.
- Everyone must go in person to the appointment, including children.
The municipality of Groningen provides additional information specifically on the Ukrainian crisis: