The annual WinterWelVaart, Groningen’s take on Christmas markets, will be happening this weekend.
This 16th edition will be taking place from Friday 15th to Sunday 17th December. Around 20 historic boats will moor in Groningen’s city centre along the A canal. Stalls will also be set up in the streets that run alongside the cana,l the Hoge der A and the Lage der A located in front of the Akerk church.
The A was once a crucial route for Groningen’s trade and industries, connecting it to the sea and the Ommelanden – the rural districts surrounding the city. The organisers of the WinterWelVaart say that this is reflected in the programme’s themes of water, connection, movement, and life.
The public will be able to board some of the ships that will be hosting live music and other artistic performances. There is also an extensive program in Museum aan de A, Podium Pomphuis (Kleine der A) and in the Akerk.
Friday 15th December
- Mast climbing on ship Jantje (17:00-22:00)
- Performance by choir Blend at the Museum aan de A (20:00-21:00)
Saturday 16th December
- Christmas carols on the organ at the Akerk (11:00-12:00)
Sunday 17th December
- The 150-member City Church choir will sing Christmas carols at the Akerk (16:00-18:00)
The general opening hours of the WinterWelVaart are:
- Friday, December 15 from 17:00 to 00:00
- Saturday, December 16 from 12:00 to 00:00
- Sunday, December 17 from 12:00 to 18:00
For the full programme you can visit the event website here. Some events may require advanced ticket purchase so plan ahead as some are already fully booked!
The 2018 edition of the event attracted around 30,000 visitors.